Welcome to Behind The Knife
These podcasts are aimed for everyone interested in not only an in-depth look at the broad range of surgical topics, but a â€œbehind the scenesâ€ look at the interesting, controversial and humanistic side of surgery from some of the giants in the field. Come along with Kevin Kniery, Jason Bingham, John McClellan and Scott Steele on a journey that explores all the disciplines of General Surgery in this informal discussion and interview format. We feel that this is the perfect medium not only to cover important educational topics for all stages of your professional career, but allow you to listen to a first-hand account of not only where we have been from those that pioneered the way, but also an opportunity to explore where we are now and are headed in the not so distant future from surgical leaders.
- It's greatAugust 8, 2017 by Sherry Jamtani from Indonesia
Thank you for your podcast, my favorite surgery podcast. helps me review
- Excellence Par NoneApril 28, 2017 by Tabsycoist from United States
Thank you all so much for this wonderful series. I'll be a surgical intern this coming July and your podcasts not only has gotten me excited about starting residency, but also confident that it will be okay. Your episodes are such a joy to listen to and I hope you keep up this wonderful work! All the best and thank you for all you do!
- recently discovered. Great for my drive to/from workMarch 1, 2017 by nic nac Jackson from United States
Studying for oral exams and found this very helpful. The mock oral scenarios were great. Hearing how experts handle tough scenarios or even standard scenarios is also great review. Highlights from conferences were great too. Love Scott Steele's sign off of "Dominate the Day." Keep it coming!
- Amazing podcastFebruary 24, 2017 by 416'er from Canada
Surgery resident listening in from Canada, I love the variety of topics covered on this podcast. I have learned so much and am always looking forward to the next episode!
- Great for residents of all levels.February 16, 2017 by Scubamoose from United States
Been listening since the beginning. Super appreciative of the absite review I got three question from my drive into work on the review. Thanks to Dr. Martin too, he was super tuned in to what they were gonna ask this year!
- Awesome!February 4, 2017 by Galaxy1228 from United States
- Great source for surgery residentsJanuary 30, 2017 by Markt0224 from United States
This is a great source for general surgery residents. Thanks for putting this on. Also, the absite review is fantastic.
- Fun, Informative, Excellent PodcastJanuary 20, 2017 by Intern/ from United States
The lecture series for Absite has been fantastic. I was introduced to the podcast during this time period. Looking forward to going through older episodes once absite is over.
- Great podcastJanuary 20, 2017 by bdudhecaisveisv from United States
Great podcast, always learn something.
- Great ABSITE reviewsJanuary 12, 2017 by Zach Moses (the dog) from United States
I'm an R1 and I haven't found any audio study form since Goljan for step 1 (which is amazing and I listened to 3x) definitely going to be listening to these more than once. They are very good, and easy to listen to. Can't wait for next weeks podcast! Thanks so much @momoMD on twitter
- Keep up the good work!December 24, 2016 by Doctor H from United States
I finished my residency 15 years ago and I've been trying to find a podcast to refresh my basic surgical knowledge. I think I finally found one. I've been listening to this for the past 6 months. It is great! It not only provides basic surgical knowledge in a succinct format, it also ties it into every day surgical practice. Keep up the good work!
- General Surgery ResidentSeptember 28, 2016 by drkt from United States
Love this podcast! Perfect for the drive to and from work. I try and look for topic we're discussing that week to help with extra prep. Recommend it to all my co-residents, often.
- PGY-4 Gen Surg ResAugust 19, 2016 by JP (like the drain) from United States
I was looking for something I could listen to on the drive to work or at the gym. So glad I finally found this Podcast. Very well-produced. Covers topics geared towards my interests as a resident. Love the subsections that help break up the format--compliments my ever-shrinking attentions span. This is the first podcast I recommend to my fellow residents.
- older surgeonJuly 30, 2016 by dustruffle from United States
you have supplanted audio dugest surgery for me. I like to get to know these surgical experts and what they have to say.
- Amazing podcastJuly 9, 2016 by hanley247 from United States
Great podcast well done amazing guest. Listen to every episode
- Great podcastMarch 5, 2016 by Jairo0317 from United States
Would highly recommend
- Excellent PodcastMarch 3, 2016 by hvrsoccer03 from United States
This is a fantastic resource for medical students interested in general surgery and general surgery residents. Keep up the good work. I love it!
- The podcast I've been waiting forJanuary 12, 2016 by the_road_less_travelled from Australia
I've been listening to various medical and surgical podcasts since I was a medical student. Now I'm a general surgery resident and this is by far the best surgery podcast I've found. The discussion of important topics as well as the interviews with some of the worlds most influential surgeons is excellent. Anyone interested or involved with surgery should listen to this.
- GreatNovember 16, 2015 by Carlos88 from United States
I absolutely love listening to this podcast. It is entertaining and so informative. I love getting to know some of the great surgeons of our time and hear their expert opinions. It is a great resource for budding surgeons.
- GreatOctober 22, 2015 by DBut83 from United States
What a wonderful contribution to surgical education. I was very fortunate to stumble upon this podcast. Every episode is topical and engaging. Keep up the great work!
- Interesting and informativeAugust 31, 2015 by Hernia patient from United States
I recently received a second hernia repair at the same site. Even though my surgeon was in a hurry during pre-op appts, the hernia podcast answered all my questions and then some. I recommend this podcast to any patient who wants detailed information about a procedure, even if embarrassed to ask their own surgeon about how it all happens.
- Great PodcastAugust 2, 2015 by Med211 from United States
Excellent quality podcast. Informative and entertaining. Thank you.
- A favorite; and I'm not in medicine!July 28, 2015 by sabarjp from United States
This podcast is one of my favorite listens and I'm not in the medical field at all! The guest speakers are well spoken and very intelligent. Many of the episodes are tailored towards surgeons, but many others are accessible to an intelligent non professional as well. A good example is the episode on doctor burnout and complications, which clearly shows that yes, our doctors are human. Keep up the great work!
- General Surgery ResidentJuly 20, 2015 by Kay (general surg resident) from United States
I have an hour commute to work in the morning, but the reason I look FORWARD to my drive is listening to this podcast!!! Whether you are a senior a junior or med student, this is such a great production. These guys deserve all the credit. Across all the disciplines, the format of this podcast is so engaging. It takes my mindset out of the box of the daily grind and revitalizes my curiosity and awe of surgery! Thanks for your hard work guys! (Is it possible that I love this podcast more than I was obsessed with Serial?????)
- Excellent Topics and Great InsightJuly 5, 2015 by King xerxes! from United States
I recently stumbled upon this podcast and am so grateful I did! I'm a fan of ICU Rounds and EMCrit but have been unable to find medically oriented podcasts directed toward professionals in the field to be at the same level. This is just as good, if not the best I have heard. I thoroughly enjoy the speaker selection and hearing from current leaders in the topic discussed! Keep up the great work and I will be passing this podcast on to my colleagues at Rush Medical Center in Chicago.
- finally, a great surgery podcastJuly 3, 2015 by GeoffBlueDevil from United States
I have been listening to podcasts for many years now and have tried nearly every single medical podcast I could find. For the surgery world "ICU Rounds" was good but has been inactive for many years now. "Surgery 101" is also good but targets medical students. There are a few other podcasts associated with surgical journals that are also good. What is currently missing from the podcast world is a high quality surgical education podcast geared towards surgery residents and attendings. Finally someone has endeavored to fill this gap. The people behind â€œBehind the Knifeâ€ has done a fantastic job. This podcast is easy to listen to, covers interesting and relevant topics and uses a variety of formats. I learn something new every time I listen. Keep up the good work guys!
- Fantastic podcastJune 23, 2015 by Nightwalker901 from United States
Great podcast bringing you fantastic topic reviews and latest controversies in surgery discussed by national and international experts. This podcast essentially brings you free access to world expert opinions on important topics in surgery and makes for excellent listening material for the drive in to work.
- Awesome Surgery PodcastJune 11, 2015 by fDrSBS from United States
Great content! Listen on my commute to and from work. They also have a Twitter account, @BehindTheKnife. Excellent!!
- Outstanding workMay 28, 2015 by Cancer Center Admin from United States
Excellent overall discussion & content. They also made it entertaining by their discussion of the background of the surgeon as well as their interests & hobbies! Great work!!
- Surg ResidentMay 27, 2015 by Tamparya from United States
Love listening to these interviews on my way to and from the hospital. Learning from the top surgeons in the world what more could I ask for? Really enjoy hearing them walk through clinical scenarios.
- Great PodcastMay 27, 2015 by Avid Listener 504 from United States
A great listen for all those in surgery, medicine, and the healthcare industry as a whole bringing in the biggest names in surgery.
- good stuffMay 1, 2015 by thanksfellas from United States
Gentlemen- wanted to thank you for your podcast. I know you're all busy, and it can't be an easy task to put together quality shows consistently. The segments are fantastic, and I listen to them in pieces on my walks to-and-from the hospital. I'm finishing up my 3rd year as an Army med student and am pursuing a general surgery spot. Keep the good mojo comin- thanks again!